All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Can I amend my taxes so that I don't claim my daughter after I already filed claiming her?

I finished my taxes and sent them in to the IRS and my state, claiming my daughter as a dependent (grad student with an assistantship).  Next, I did my daughter's taxes.  Due to some grad school tuition, she owes a fair amount IF I claim her as a dependent.  I ran a what-if scenario by doing both of our taxes each way, dependent or not dependent.  It's a better overall situation if we DON'T claim her as dependent (she gets an education credit I can't claim), but I already filed mine.  Can I amend mine right away or should a file her as a dependent, then amend both of our returns?  Is it OK to do that?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Can I amend my taxes so that I don't claim my daughter after I already filed claiming her?

Hello, kurt6680, and welcome to the community.

Since you have already filed your return and claimed your daughter as a dependent, if you try to file hers as if she weren't a dependent, the IRS will reject her return, saying that her exemption has already been claimed.

So...even though it means a bunch of extra paperwork, your best option is to file her return without claiming her own exemption, and then amend both your return and hers after you have received the initial refunds.  (An alternate option would be to file an extension for hers, then file her regular return at the same time as you file your amended return.)

I ended up doing something similar for my sister and niece, so it isn't as though the IRS would be completely shocked by seeing that happen.

Hope that helps!

-kurt

Pioneer

Re: Can I amend my taxes so that I don't claim my daughter after I already filed claiming her?

KurtH (hey, I'm a Kurt H too), thanks.

That's what I was thinking, but I was leery of changing the dependent election like that without some corroboration that it was OK.  Thanks for the advice.

Associate (Neighbor)

Not a problem at all.  Smiley Happy

Happy to be of help! 

-kurt

Council Member

I don't think this situation is as simple as KurtH is making it. 

If you are eligible to claim your daughter, you can't just decide not to claim her and allow her to claim her own exemption. If you're eligible to claim her and don't, she still can't claim it herself.

To be eligible to be claimed as your dependent if she:

1) was under age 19, or under age 24 at the end of the year and a full time student during some part of at least 5 months of the year

2) lived with you at least half the year (being away at school is still considered living with you if she was living with you when she started school and comes back to your home as her home on breaks)

3) doesn't file a MFJ return

4) doesn't provide over half her own support (scholarship income not included)

If she meets all of those conditions, she can NOT claim her own exemption even if you choose not to.

Karen