Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Your Taxes

willdorcay

incorrect bank account number

I just efiled online 1040ez, only when I printed off the return after sending it, I found I was one digit wrong on the bank account for direct deposit. How can I fix this?

Associate
CindyK13

Re: incorrect bank account number

Good Evening and welcome to the Community.  Unfortunately, if you have already sent the return, there is no way to fix it.  They will send the money to the bank and the bank will see that the name and account number do not match.  The bank will then send the money back to the IRS and they will send a check to the address on the return.  It will take probably a month or so for all this to take place.

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
22 years experience
willdorcay

[ Edited ]

willdorcay

Thanks, Cindy. We are a small community here in the panhandle of Texas, and our bank knows everyone who is banking there. so, if I give them a heads up, can they catch that when it comes in and put it in the right account?

Associate
CindyK13

It doesn't hurt to go talk to them and see what they say!

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
22 years experience
KMS
KMS

[ Edited ]

HR recieved transaction 2am this morning and I will call @ 9am central time to make them aware of incorrect account # (off by 1 digit also). But I have had a similiar mistake before and HR bank said they would mail the check from there; do not remember it having to be mailed from IRS. Is this new? Not sure but 24-36 hrs to print check then regular mailing time is all it took. ** If it is sent back to IRS and check mailed from there how would HR get its fee out?

Associate
CYCLIST

KMS,

Which account number is 1 digit off?    If it is your own bank account number and if you had your tax prep fees taken

out of the refund, then the IRS will send the refund to H & R Bank. That is how the tax prep fees are paid. THEN the

H & R Bank will attempt to send it to your bank account.   If the account number is wrong, that is when the H & R Bank will

mail the remainder check to your address.

Does that clear it up?

KMS
KMS

A little clearer except the time frame. How long from date refund refused by my bank (account # 1 digit off) before HR Bank generates check and puts it in the mail?