Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Your Taxes

AngieTech
Accepted Solution

Proof of health insurance not on e-file 2013?!!?!!?

I just filed my Federal and CA State taxes online....there was no prompt to enter my health insurance information....am I going to get fined??? 

AngieTech

Re: Proof of health insurance not on e-file 2013?!!?!!?

I may have found the answer to my question...Below is what I have found...I still would appreciate any feedback, thank you!

"You may receive a penalty if not insured by March 31, 2014. If you are required to purchase health insurance and have not done so by March 31, 2014, you will receive a penalty on your 2014 tax return (filed in 2015). The penalty in 2014 is $95 per adult and $47.50 per child, and the fee is capped at $285 or 1 percent of household income. Each year the penalty increases; in 2016, the fine rises to $695 per adult and will be capped at $2,085 or 2.5 percent of income. There is no penalty for a gap in coverage for less than three months."

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2013/08/07/5-ways-health-care-reform-will-impact-your-f...

Associate
MarciaT

You are correct; what you quoted is what is in effect.  The penalty next year for not having insurance is indeed $95 or 1% of the household income with that maximum.  If your health insurance is through your employer, you will notice a code DD in Box 12 of your W2, which indicates your health insurance premiums and is an indication that you are covered.  Next January taxpayers will receive a form 1095-A to indicate their fulfillment of the health insurance mandate and what penalty or premium tax credit may apply, if any, on their 2014 return.  I expect there will be a screen at that time to input that information.

AngieTech

Thank you!!!!