Your Taxes

clydes46

H and R fees.

Do I have to pay my H and R filing fees up front if I file as a injured spouse. Or can I pay out of my returns.

Community Manager
JerryG

Re: H and R fees.

[ Edited ]

clydes46,

Sorry for the confusion. I was not aware of the implications of the injured spouse form in consideration of using the Refund Anticipation Check. Thank you WillMc1 for the clarification.

JerryG

Community Manager

clydes46

Jerry the office I filed from said that I have to pay my fee's before they will file. They state that with me filing as a injured spouse that the system will not let them file till I pay. If this is wrong how can I show them that? Do you want the office phone number to talk with them?

werewaiting

I know that if they offer to take the amount from your refund its a fee of $35 (they sure will go after every penny lol )

Alumni Associate
WillMc1

clydes46,

The reason H&R Block fees cannot be withheld when filing Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation with your tax return is due to the expected offset from your federal refund figured on the joint return. The IRS validates the injured spouse claim and determines the amount of the refund to release to the affected spouse. Because the amount of refund is an "unknown" until the IRS processes the claim, fees cannot be withheld through the RAC option.

I hope this helps explain why. Good luck to you.