Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Pioneer

how do i know what to file as?

In august I separated from my husband but stayed in the family home then it december I left the family home completely with our children into a shelter. Now I'm not sure how to file my taxes married and separate or i can file head of household?

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

Re: how do i know what to file as?

Hello.  When you are legally married (which you are), your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.  There is a situation that would allow you to file "head of household".  The criteria for this filing status is that you did not reside with your husband during the last six months of the year and that you were the one providing and maintaining a home for the children.  Unfortunately this year you indicated you were together until august, so then you do not meet the criteria.  Your option then is married filing separately, if filing on your own.  some credits will not be available to you; and your refund may be smaller than if you filed jointly.