Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-19-2014

filing taxes as a student

what paperwork or information do i need to bring from my college when i go to hr block to file my taxes? also can i claim my fiance as a dependent if she is a college student as well?

Associate (Neighbor)
Posts: 59
Registered: ‎03-28-2013

Re: filing taxes as a student

The school should send you a form 1098-T with the amounts they billed you for tuition and related expenses. 


When you get that form, check to see if there's an amount in Box 1. If there is NOT, then you should go to your school or online student portal and get a receipt of the money you paid the school in 2013. You'll also want to account for the books (or any other syllabus required supplies) you've had to buy during the year.


Your fiance could be claimed by you only if they made less than $3,900 and lived with you ALL year.


Hope this helps! Good luck to you.