Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

divorced and live together

We were divorced 2 years ago, and I filed separate last year.

now my ex wife came to live with us again because of kids and trying to work it out.

how should I file my taxes this year?

separate and claim kids,

can she file separate with no income, she is not working,

or she can be added as dependent since I am the house hold.

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: divorced and live together

Hello and welcome to the community.

Yes you would file with a "head of household" filing status and claim the children. as far as your ex-wife goes there are certain conditions which need to be met to claim her.

1.  Not a qualifying child. 

2.  Member of household. The individual must have lived with the taxpayer all year.

3.  Gross income.  Individual's income must be under $4,050.

4.  Support. The taxpayer must provide more than half of the individual's support.

She is not a qualifying child of any taxpayer, She had no income, and you provided more than half of her support ( food, housing, utilities ). So if she lived with you for all of 2016 you can claim her as a dependent.  As she had no income and paid no income tax she doesn't need to file this year.

Hope this helps you out, and if you have any other questions let me know. 

Roger H.
Pioneer

Your answer is right to the point, thank you

Associate (Pioneer)

You're welcome.

Roger H.