Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

dependent

I have a 15 year old that was locked up in a local detention home since 11/13/2012, In August I lost custody to the state.. Can I claim him as a dependent?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: dependent

Because it was determined before the end of the year that you lost custody to the state, you can not claim him for 2013.

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
24 years experience
Associate

since she technically was in your custody for more than 1/2 of the year yes, for the current year. Next year you will not be allowed to take the exemption for the dependant because the state will have custody of the child. When you are restored custody, then and only then will you be able to claim the dependant.

Associate (Neighbor)

I researched this before I responded and it said that since the child was put into custody of the state before the end of the year, the child can not be claimed.  If they were just in detention and no final custody was rewarded before the end of the year, then they could be claimed because detention is "temporary absense".  It does not matter that how long the child lived with them since the custody was warded to the state before the end of the year!

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
24 years experience
Valued Pioneer

is it worth re-filing taxes to claim dependent?

Tax Pro

Hi 8414,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

When you claim a dependent you get an additional personal exemption and if you're not married you also get a $3,000 increase to your standard deduction.  You may also qualify for dependent-related credits.

Even if you don't qualify for any of the credits the other benefits alone are enough to reduce your taxable income significantly, so it is definitely worth it to amend your tax return and claim your dependent.  The only time it wouldn't make much difference whether or not you claim your dependent is if your income is so high (in the hundreds of thousands) that your personal exemptions are phased-out.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

How do I go about amending my return?

Tax Pro

Hi 8414,

In order to amend your tax return you'll need to fill out Form 1040X (Amended Tax Return) and mail it to the IRS along with a copy of any forms that are newly added to the return.  There are at least three options that I can think of for getting this done:

1. Visit an H&R Block office and complete the amendment with a tax professional.  An amendment costs $75+ in an office.
  2. If you used the H&R Block software to complete your original return then you can complete the amendment in the same version of the software that you previously used.
  3. Fill out Form 1040X and any other necessary forms by hand.  You can find blank printable forms on the IRS website.