Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Pioneer

child filing tax return while I claim her

Hello,

Hoping someone can help.  I filed my taxes with H&R block and claimed my children.  One of them being a full time college student I still support.  She worked for a couple of months in the summer so I was putting together a return for her but the website is keeping it in review saying she was already on another tax return.  

How do I solve this since my other two daughters worked a summer job and I will go through this with them too.  

thank you

Associate (Council Member)

Re: child filing tax return while I claim her

When preparing your child's tax return there must be a question somewhere toward the beginning of 

all the questions stating something like, "can you be claimed by someone else", or simply "claimed as 

a dependent?"  You must answer that yes.   That way the child will not get the $4050 personal exemption 

but you, as the parent, will.

That should allow your child's return to be accepted by the IRS.