Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Trusted Pioneer

Wife non resident alien student

Wife is a non resident alien student on F1 OPT.

Last year for 2016 we filed as married filing jointly but she did not have any income for 2016.

In 2017 she has income less than 40 k and I have income 90 k.How do i make sure when I am filing jointly that her medicare and social security tax is not being applied to her?

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Wife non resident alien student

Hello. 

When you file your taxes, there is nothing on the return that addresses the social security or medicare tax allocation  I am assuming that her earnings are from wages and she is being paid through a W2.  In this manner, the social security taxes and medicare are being turned in by her employer and going to credit an account tied to the social security number on record for her.  That tax is not transferrable from person to person.  Does that make sense?