Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Why is my Injured spouse allocation refund taking longer to receive?

My wife and I filed jointly for the first time this year but because of her student loans we filed an injured spouse allocation. We filed January 25th and it was excepted on the 27th I believe. From the information I've researched it says we should've received it by now. The longest expected time to receive an electronically filed return is 11 weeks. It's been much longer as you can see. I check the IRS "where's my refund" page and it only says that it's been accepted and is processing. What do I do or what may be the issue causing this to take so long?
Tax Pro

Re: Why is my Injured spouse allocation refund taking longer to receive?

Hi lost_n_hi,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Since your tax return status is coming up on the IRS tracker as "processing" that means that the IRS is in control.  The best thing you can do is call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.  Since it has been more than the normal 21 days they can investigate this and find out what's going on with the return.  If the IRS needs anything further from you then you'll have a head start on getting it done.  Note that an injured spouse allocation can take much longer to process than a return normally does.  There is no set amount of time for receiving your refund, though the normal timing is 21-days (count from February 15th if you claimed the earned income credit or the additional child tax credit).

When the IRS tracker updates to "paid" that means you should have your refund within 24-48 hours.  If the three bars on the tracker disappear that means that it's simply taking longer than normal or it's possible that you will receive a letter from the IRS requesting additional information or something else that's needed from you.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)