Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Who claims child for tax exemption?

My ex-husband and I filed our last support order in 2017. I have been the primary custodial parent. We have a son and daughter, in 2017 my daughter became responsible for all her expenses and our support order states under Income Tax Exemptions:

"Tax exemptions for the child shall be allocated as follows:

The mother shall claim daughter and the father shall claim son until such time as only son can be claimed, then the exemption for son shall alternate between the parents with the mother claiming the son the first year."

That said my son graduated High School in late June of 2017 and did officially move to his Father's home in July of 2017. My ex-husband paid child support January through the end of June. We did not enter a Post Secondary Support order. 

My son started Technical college in September and has resided between either household in 2017 and did not cover more than 50% of his living expenses as a matter of fact he did not cover any of them and only contributed $161 towards his tuition the rest is covered by grants. 

I claimed my son on my taxes for the 2017 year given that he was still in High School for part of the year and also because I could no longer claim my daughter. My ex-husband felt it was his right  to do so because he has graduated and the order is no longer in effect. I have also, reached out to my lawyer today but I wanted the perspective from here as well.

Thank you.