Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Valued Pioneer

THE IRS has not received my 2016 federal return!

[ Edited ]
I e-filed my return on 4/6/17 and when I check the status on the IRS site they say they can't locate any info regarding my return (I have the filing receipt from H&R ). What now??? It's past the deadline for filing, if I am financially penalized by the IRS is H&R going to pay that fee?
Tax Pro

Re: THE IRS has not received my 2016 federal return!

Hi Barryd1968,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If you're checking through the "Where's My Refund?" tracker it does tend to blank out from time to time.  Also, you have to enter the information it requests precisely or it will not come up with anything.  If you mailed your tax return to the IRS it may or may not be trackable using "Where's My Refund?".  So while there are many reasons why the tracker may not show any information I'm sure the IRS has your return and that it is being processed.

Typically the tracker will update when processing is finished, however if you called the IRS on the phone and they actually told you that they didn't receive the return then that is a different story.  You'll need to go into your MyBlock account and see if there's a rejection code, and if there is you'll need to fix the error and re-send the return (there's no extra charge for re-sending a rejected return).  If you completed the return in an office or if you did not receive a rejection code after filing online then you'll want to call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK for assistance or visit the office that you filed your return at.

If you owed extra tax because of an error that was made on the return and you bought "Peace of Mind" coverage then H&R Block would cover the extra tax, however the normally will not cover interest and penalties.  If you are due a refund though then you cannot be penalized and you actually have 3 years from the original due date of the return to file it.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

I realize a year has passed but the IRS still claims H&R Block apparently had not properly e-file the return I inquired about last year, they have no record whatsoever. I told my son he had to call H&R to straighten it out because I knew they would not be allowed to discuss details of his return with anyone other than him. Unfortunately, he was only 18 yrs old, his first tax return filed, and recently had returned from boot camp and his refund was low so time got away from him. We we going to just file it with 2017's but H&R is responsible for any fee's and interest that the IRS will be charging my son. So..... How do we handle this with H&R now? Thanks.
Tax Pro

Hi Barryd1968,

So that's good that you're going to file the 2016 return along with your 2017 return.

If you are due a refund you cannot be penalized and you will still get the refund.  So if you are due a refund on the 2016 return then there's nothing to worry about other than the unfortunately long wait for the refund.  You can claim a refund for 3 years from the original due date of a tax return, so the ability to claim a 2016 refund will actually expire on April 15th, 2019.

If you owe tax then you'll have penalties, interest, and of course the normal tax liability.  Your best option here is to speak to either your district manager or your office manager about filing a claim for the additional tax.  They are the best people to assist you with that.  You can request a call from them if neither is available when you visit the office.  If your son filed online in 2016 you can also call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK as I previously mentioned.