Your Life

KTM
Pioneer

Spouse Non-Resident Alien

Hello,

I am writing to find out if I can use my husband as an exemption on my tax return.

I am trying to complete my tax return on your H&R Block on-line site, but it does not allow me to claim him, although when I go to the IRS site it states that you can file an exemption for your spouse if they did not file a return, did not earn any wages and that they are a non-resident alien.  My husband meets all three of these statements.......he is a non-resident alien, will not be filing a return in 2012 and did not earn any US  wages.

Maybe I am not reading the IRS statement correctly and would like some guidance.   My filing status on my return is "Married, Filing Separately" .

Thank you....and I look forward to your response.

KTM

Associate (Council Member)

Re: Spouse Non-Resident Alien

KTM,

Have you tried speaking with someone at our online product support team? You can call 1-800-HRBLOCK, press 2 and ask a support team member your question.

Thanks, JerryG

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Spouse Non-Resident Alien

Yes You can clain a non resisident alien spouse as a dependent, You must file Married Fliling Separately to do so an there are also

a number of other qualifications/restrictions to apply. I do not know if the to online software supportst that special set of rules.

H&R Blocks in office software does support that type of fling, I wouls ask for a senior tax prparer familiar with that out of the ordinary

way to file.