Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.
12-13-2016 09:46 PM
12-14-2016 01:02 AM
12-14-2016 04:23 AM
1. I do not know if you are considered as a resident of California or not. I can only provide you with some guidance as if you could be a resident just in case you would be required to file state returns. The only true answer to your CA residency status would need to be provided by a local CA Tax Professional once you meet with him/her.
2. You are a legal US resident because you were issued a green card regardless of not filing state taxes.
3. You cannot claim a loss for travel expenses to work overseas.
4. As I mentioned in an earlier answer, you can mail the amended returns on a different date from the date you signed them, so that is ok.
5. The explanation you wrote seems fine. I understood it, so I'm quite certain the IRS will also.
6. I cannot find any adjustment for local transportation or rental fees (in Egypt), or for cost of exams (while in CA) that would reduce your CA AGI.
I hope I've answered your questions so you better understand them.
12-14-2016 04:41 AM
12-14-2016 10:32 AM
I'm thrilled Will has been able to help you so thoroughly. He's a wonderful resource in this community and we're lucky to have him to help with such detailed questions. I wish we had dozens of Wills!
However, I'd really like to encourage you to make an appointment at an H&R Block office at your earliest convenience as your questions are incredibly detailed and would benefit from an in-person meeting. I know you said you aren't in the US at this time, but you are able to book appointments online so as soon as you do move to California you are all set up and ready to go. Offices will start getting busy as soon as tax season opens up, so I encourage you to book sooner than later.
You can find an office through this link. Let us know if you need any help with the process.
12-14-2016 04:44 PM
12-14-2016 09:48 PM