Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Esteemed Pioneer

Re: Question in 1040x

6-The difference between the minimum requirement for filling CA taxes from Gross income and AGI is about 2000$, so can you please check again that i can not use any reduction to refuce it just 374$
Like transportation in Egypt or exams in CA or the fees i paid to rent a home in Egypt
Esteemed Pioneer

Sorry for many questions but i am really worry and confused as my accountant do not want to help me and i am doing all alone with your help
7- in 1040x i wrote my address in USA ( my friend home which my is the address in my driving license) althoug i am still in Egypt,while in 2012 and 2013 taxes files i wrote my egyptian adress, but i want to write my address in USA as to be easly contacted with IRS if they want to send me any mail so ny friend can inform me, so is that an error and i should write my egyptian address in 1040x ( i write my egyptian address in amnded 2555ez)
8- i write my address in amended 2555Ez in Egypt but forget to put the number sign(#) infront of flat number. So is it ok or i should modify it before sending?
Associate (Council Member)

1.  I do not know if you are considered as a resident of California or not.  I can only provide you with some guidance as if you could be a resident just in case you would be required to file state returns.  The only true answer to your CA residency status would need to be provided by a local CA Tax Professional once you meet with him/her. 

2.  You are a legal US resident because you were issued a green card regardless of not filing state taxes.

3.  You cannot claim a loss for travel expenses to work overseas.

4.  As I mentioned in an earlier answer, you can mail the amended returns on a different date from the date you signed them, so that is ok.

5.  The explanation you wrote seems fine.  I understood it, so I'm quite certain the IRS will also.

6.  I cannot find any adjustment for local transportation or rental fees (in Egypt), or for cost of exams (while in CA) that would reduce your CA AGI. 

I hope I've answered your questions so you better understand them. 

WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)
Esteemed Pioneer

There are 2 questions also above (7&8)
9- can i put the travel fees in line 14 ( other gain or losses) as i am thinking if i am resident in CA , i lost money to travel to Egypt to work so its a loss
10- if i did not file any state taxes , what should i write in a question of N-400 asking about if you did not file any taxes as you consider yourself a non US resident?
Highlighted

Hi Siko,

I'm thrilled Will has been able to help you so thoroughly. He's a wonderful resource in this community and we're lucky to have him to help with such detailed questions. I wish we had dozens of Wills!

However, I'd really like to encourage you to make an appointment at an H&R Block office at your earliest convenience as your questions are incredibly detailed and would benefit from an in-person meeting. I know you said you aren't in the US at this time, but you are able to book appointments online so as soon as you do move to California you are all set up and ready to go. Offices will start getting busy as soon as tax season opens up, so I encourage you to book sooner than later.

You can find an office through this link. Let us know if you need any help with the process.

Thank you!

~Jillian

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Esteemed Pioneer

Sure i will book an appointment
But can Will help me in answering the above questions please
Associate (Council Member)

Here is a link to IRS Form 8822 which you file to change your address:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

I wish you safe travel and a great year.
WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)
Esteemed Pioneer

Hi Will
I am sorry for asking you many questions and i promise you the above questions are the last ones (7,8,9&10)
So please amswer me
And about the address i already filed years 2014 and 2015 by the USA address so should i submit the form 8822 to be able to write the USA address un the amended taxes for 2012 and 2013? As the orginal files submitted before written in them the Egyptian address
Esteemed Pioneer

Hi Will
Please just answer my above questions