Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-12-2018
Accepted Solution

Peace Corps Volunteer Filing

Hi all,


I am a Peace Corps Volunteer serving abroad. In 2017, I worked 1 month in Colorado, then changed my mailing address (my home of record) to my parents' in Ohio when I moved abroad in February 2017. I did not live nor work in Ohio. I understand I need to file in Colorado. My W-2 for Peace Corps has my parents' address in Ohio. Does this mean I need to file an Ohio return as well? Ohio has local tax (RITA) that would be less than ideal.


Please advise! Thanks!

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎02-02-2018

Re: Peace Corps Volunteer Filing

Hi ehsumner,

Welcome to H&R Block Community.


Ohio does not require nonresidents to file a state return unless the taxpayer has Ohio source income, meaning the taxpayer earned the income in Ohio. To qualify as a full-year nonresident, Ohio has five requirements, which you can see here:


Based on your information provided, you should meet these requirements. Make sure to fill out and file the required affidavit:


If you meet these requirements, you should not need to file for OH.



Tax Research Specialist (San Diego)