Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How to Schedule an E-Mail Consultation

Hello,

I am new here to everything - H&R Block, the US Tax Filing system, etc so I need a lot of help and would not mind engaging an expert.  However I am outside the US at the moment and looking to file my New York taxes but cannot seem to find a way to speak with an expert via e-mail rather than in person.   E-Mail or Skype conversation would be the best for me.  Any ideas on how to go about this would really help.

Thank you so much.

Tax Pro

Re: How to Schedule an E-Mail Consultation

Hi TeeWAd,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I will gladly assist you as necessary.  You can use the private message system here in the community to message me whenever you get stuck on something.  Just click on my name to send a message.  This way we both will be able to work on your return when it's most convenient for us.  I'm on here just about every day though so I'll be checking my message box often.

You could of course look for a tax professional in New York, however only some offices are open during this part of the year and they usually will not do email consultations.  If you're using the online software though you can use "best of both" to send your tax return to a tax professional in New York for a review and advising.

Have you filed your federal tax return yet?

If you have not filed federal then you should do that one first because many things will carry right over to the NY state return.  You can do both federal and state easily in the H&R Block software.  If you file online the software will walk you through the whole thing with an interview and then fill out your tax returns based on your answers.  Much of your state return will fill out from your federal, so when you go through the state interview you'll mainly be double-checking information and looking for deductions & credits specific to NY that the federal return doesn't account for.

If you've already done your federal return that's alright.  You can do NY by itself, but if you do the state by itself it has to be mailed to the depart of revenue and I  can get you their address information if you need it.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Re: How to Schedule an E-Mail Consultation

Thank you so much Louis.  

I will be happy to take this further with you in a private chat.  I have not done anything and am not familiar with the tax laws.  Since this is a first, I would prefer to work with a professional and take it from there in subsequent returns.