Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How do I deduct a joint health insurance premium that I totally pay?

I pay for me and my partner's Long Term Care health insurance premium.

Can I deduct the entire premium since I pay for it all, or can I only deduct part of it?

If only part of it, how much - 50%?

Tax Pro

Re: How do I deduct a joint health insurance premium that I totally pay?

Hi leishirute,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You might be able to deduct the entire premium.

If you are legally married or if your state legally recognizes your partnership as a marriage then you can file a joint return.  This will allow you to deduct your partner's expenses that you pay for.  If you are not legally married or recognized as a marriage then if your partner meets the qualifications for a qualifying relative you can claim them on your tax return which also allows you to claim their expenses that you pay.

If neither of the above apply then you can deduct only your own part of the premium.  It may or may not be 50%.  The insurance company should be able to tell you how much your own coverage is and how much other insured people's coverage comes to.  If it's a single premium that doesn't specify though then 50% is a safe enough number to go with.

QUALIFYING RELATIVE RULES

In order to claim someone who is unrelated to you as a qualifying relative they must:

1. live with you for the entire year
  2. receive more than 50% of their support from you
  3. earn less than $4,050 for the year
  4. not file a joint return with another taxpayer
  5. not be the dependent of another taxpayer

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Thank you.

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.