Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Esteemed Pioneer

HELP! "Duplicate Entries Alert - Please double-check your mortgage interest deduction "

I'm trying to finish up and file but got this message: 

"Great news - your Accuracy Review is complete! We suggest you review this info about your return

• Duplicate Entries Alert - Please double-check your mortgage interest deduction on your Schedule A (itemized deductions) for any duplication. You entered mortgage interest as an itemized deduction and we carried mortgage interest to itemized from another form, such as Business Use of the Home or Mortgage Interest Credit. You may need to adjust the entries in itemized deductions to accurately reflect your deductible mortgage interest.:"

We declared the mortgage interest on our home and also a home office deduction.    I did not  enter mortgage interest twice,  and assume the program entered a portion of that interest automatically for the  home-office deduction.   I don't know if I need to do anything about this or not.   If so,  I don't know what to do.

Any thoughts? 

Thank you!