Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Pioneer

Filing status - married filing as single

I was married in Nov 2016. My spouse and I have decided not to combine our financials. Both our W-2's still say single. Should we file as single or married? If my spouse has already filed as single, should we make a correction or should I file as single so that we match? 

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Filing status - married filing as single

Hello bminks and welcome to the Community,

If you and your spouse are married and living together you only have the options of Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. You or your spouse cannot file single. Your spouse who filed single will need to amend their return to one of the married filing statuses.

It should be known that Married Filing Separately is the least beneficial of the five filing statuses as you are not eligible for some credits. So if you keep your day to day finances separate it is most likely to benefit you two the most by filing jointly.