Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Valued Pioneer

Filing as part-year resident in 2 states and also change in marital status during same year

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a question about what to enter in wages when filing as a part-year resident for California and New Jersey.

In my case, my current wife was a resident in New Jersey from January - April 2017. (She was single at that time)

We then got married near end of April and my wife moved to California from May. 

I was California resident for entire year of 2017. 

For Federal, we will file as Married, filing jointly. 

But how should we file the state returns for CA and NJ? 

Should it be "Full-Year resident for CA" and "Part year resident for NJ?"

And whose income do we report where on each state? And what about deductions, etc(since I also pay mortgage on my home in CA)

I am highly confused. I also asked a CPA. He suggested as "Full-Year resident for CA" and "Non-resident for NJ"

which doesn't sound correct to me. 

Any advice is highly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Valued Pioneer

Re: Filing as part-year resident in 2 states and also change in marital status during same year

Hello, 

Can anyone help answering this question? 

Thanks. 

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Filing as part-year resident in 2 states and also change in marital status during same year

Hello, hary536, and welcome to the community.

Residency status will be a little strange in your case - your status is a full-year resident of CA and non-resident of NJ; your wife's status is part-year resident of CA and part-year resident of NJ.  Most states give you the option of having a different residency status for each spouse.

The W-2s that you received should show the breakdown of what income should attributed to each state; if you enter the information into the online program the same way as it appears on the W-2, the income should flow to the proper state without you having to do anything special.

Since you were a full-year resident of CA, I would keep all of the deductions there.  If there are some specific deductions that don't make sense to include on the CA return (if there were property taxes paid in NJ, for example), those should go to the NJ return. 

Hope that helps - if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-kurt