Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-28-2018

Filing Status for 2017 taxes if married to a non-resident alien.

I'm a Legal Permanent Resident. My wife lives abroad, she is not a U.S resident. Now we are in the final steps of the immigration process. However, for my W4 my status is Single, following the instructions stated in that form. I thought that I should use that same Filing Status for my 2017 taxes, but I read on the IRS website something different. I read that I must select Married as Filing Status, and include my wife as a Non-Resident Alien. Then, I must decide if filing as Married Filing Separately or Jointly. I will appreciate any help on that issue. I'm kind of confused about it.

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎11-25-2014

Re: Filing Status for 2017 taxes if married to a non-resident alien.



Yes, your filing status on your tax return is determined by your legal marital status.  If legally married, then your choices are Married filing jointly or married filing separately.  what you read is correct.  Now, when you complete your W4 paperwork for employment, you are estimating how much tax you need taken off your pay to meet the tax liability you will have at the end of the year.  Filing that paperwork as being single just indicates that you will withhold a higher amount of income tax and have more paid in for your obligation. The information on the W4 has no bearing on what filing status you will use when filing your taxes. 

Hope this helps you.