Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-22-2014

Dependent Child and SSA-1099

Hello, My step-daughter gets a social security check, due to her biological father being deciesed.

the 1099 has her social security number on it, but is in care of my wife.


I am trying to file my taxes here online, and the only two options available are mine and my wifes.


Any Idea who i am supposed to put this under?


Alumni Associate
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎12-13-2013

Re: Dependent Child and SSA-1099

Hello Navy_Gumby. Welcome to The Community.

From the detail you provide, the Social Security survivor benefits would be reportable on your step-daughter's tax return, providing she has other taxable income to require her to file. If not, the Social Security is not reported anywhere. It would only be reportable income for your wife if a portion of the benefits were hers.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Tax Professional (Retired)
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-04-2017

Re: Dependent Child and SSA-1099

Thank alot for this answer. I was doing my taxes and could not figure out was I to report this on my taxes are not report. My son got a lump sum that was due him over 11 years ago and he is just got it in 2016. We got a form 1099 for him and had not ideal what to do in filing. He was not working any where. He is a full time student.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-30-2017

Re: Dependent Child and SSA-1099

[ Edited ]

Hi - So if my daughter received SSA income in 2016, but her name isn't popping up in the place on the form to add SSA income; but she is listed as a dependent, then it's not necessary to enter the info?  She doesn't file a separate income tax return as this was her only income.  She's a full-time college student in her first year.


I'm confused...but I think that since this SSA income is based upon her father's income (he's retired and over 65) that it's not necessary to report it.

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Dependent Child and SSA-1099

Hi ALP17,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


If the only income your daughter had was social security then she has no taxable income.


If your daughter had had any other income then she would have needed to file her own tax return, but since the social security was all she had for 2016 she doesn't need to file a return and her income does not need to be reported.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)