Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Pioneer

Claiming Refundable American Opportunity Credit

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have done tax return multiple times but this is the first time happening like so please help..

My son attends a school A primarily, and over the summer he attended school B to take some credits.

I currently have 1098T from school A, and I am waiting on 1098T from school B.

Based on H&R block calculator with school A only, I should be qualified for $1000 of Refundable American Opportunity Credit. However, when I actually put in the information with school A, it shows that I am not eligible. I tried to add estimated amount for school B (I know exactly how much I paid) but it doesn't make any changes, either. How do I do?

It says as follows:

This might be due to:
  • Paying tuition with tax-free scholarship money or benefits
  • Having eliminated your taxes with other tax breaks
  • Claiming a Lifetime Learning Credit for other students before this one (Not the case for me)

I changed around to see if I input any information wrong

Is the amount you entered the full tuition paid to The Ohio State University in 2017? I changed to Yes this time,

and this shows:

This might be due to:
  • Paying tuition with tax-free scholarship money or benefits
  • Income over the cutoff for the Lifetime Learning Credit, but studies aren't eligible for the American Opportunity Credit What qualifies?
Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Claiming Refundable American Opportunity Credit

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

The refundable portion (1,000) of the American opportunity credit is not available when looking at the lifetime learning credit.  Your messages all indicate that the program has generated the lifetime learning credit.  What year of education is your son in?  The AOC (American opportunity credit) is only available the first four years of college.  If your son has not completed his first four years of higher education, you may need to review your answers to see if something is incorrect.  He does have to be enrolled on a least a half-time basis.  Please let me know if I can assist you further with this.