Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-04-2018

Changing Filing Status

Hello!  So I am trying to change my filing status on HR Block Premium, but it just keeps saying I am married and filing jointly,when I am actually independent.  How do I change this?

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: Changing Filing Status

Hi AndyP1,


If you prepare your tax online with username and password, to change your filling status, please follow these steps:


  • Click on Federal tab – Choose option: “Go to the beginning of my return.” Click Next.
  • Click on Personal Information under Federal section, you should see screen: “Take Me To - Click any topic to view what you've already told us. If you can't access a particular topic, you'll need to complete the parts
  • Click on “Your filling status”, and program will prompt you to the next screen: “Your Filing Status is…..” Do you want to change it? You should click “Yes” and hit Next if the filling status listed is not correct.


If you use software version installed on your computer from a CD or download, you will click on Federal tab – Click Go to on line “Personal Information” and check the box that is best applied to your case – Hit Next and you will see the screen: “Your 2017 Filing status” – What is your filing status? You will choose the status that matches your filling status in 2017.


Hope this help you out.



Tax Research Specialist.

The Tax Institute at H&R Block.