Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Can one spouse file state married filing jointly (GA) & other file state maried filing seperate (VA)

My spouse and I lived in different states all year and both made income in our state only.  I was told VA had to file Married filing seperately due to VA rules but that GA had a choice of joint or seperate. (by H&R chat but then another H&R representative didn't seem so confident of this) Our plan is to file Federal Return as Married filing jointly and GA the same.  VA will need "mock" federal married filing seperately to do married filing seperate VA State.  My question is it ok for GA to be joint still if VA seperate? 

I am struggling to understand the concept of this Mock federal return I guess.  Is it safe to say it doesn't take into what is actually being filed by state of GA joint or Federal joint?

If we have 3 deductions (self, spouse, and child) does that need to be divided between both state returns?  If married filing jointly (GA) seems we could take all 3 deductions but then when filing married filing seperately (VA) I would like to seperate the deductions 1 for VA and 2 for GA (this GA will not be filed though) based on mock returns.

If itemized Fed return jointly (the one we are actually filing) is it ok to take standard deduction in VA state and Fed "mock" filing seperately?  It says must itemize state if itemize Fed...how does this work when using "mock" federal return to complete state return?