Your Life

Your Life

Major life milestones often have a major tax impact. Changes in your marital status, having a baby or adopting a child can have significant impact on your taxes. This is the place to ask questions about dependents, real estate, and other various scenarios that play a significant role in what taxes you pay.

Pioneer

1099 misc HELP

Hi,

I'm at a complete loss here..

I purchased the Premium & Business program for Small Business Owners...

I entered my 1099 MISC into my Premium tax program for myself, but need to know if it needs to go in the business part as well. It seems like the business program (the 2nd download) makes the 1099 MISC form and is NOT what I need!

I just need clarification and have already gone through 3 phone calls with no success.  

Tax Pro

Re: 1099 misc HELP

Hi pineapple,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You do not need premium + business to enter income that you earned as an independent contractor (1099-MISC).  You can use deluxe to enter this type of income if you only need a Schedule C-EZ (you do not have more than $5,000 in expenses to deduct against the income and you do not have depreciation or inventory expenses).  You can enter a 1099-MISC in premium if you need the full blown Schedule C.

I suggest calling support at 1-800-HRBLOCK and requesting a download to either deluxe or premium.  Only a phone support agent can authorize downgrade.  Note that you may have to re-enter any information that was already entered once you've been downgraded.

In all of the above versions of the software you'll find the 1099-MISC questions in the income section of the interview and the deduction questions will follow.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

It took four calls and this to get that answer :/ 

So, can I just file with the premium? I had Premium + Business, but I should be able to just use premium, right? 

Pioneer

New to the community so not sure where to post this question.  Trying to do taxes for son with $1400 income for only 3 weeks of work in 2016.  No other employment as he was college student.  Don't mind purchasing software  - but he has deductions only for uniforms and minimal mileage that is deductible.  Which product do I have to get because I don't want to pay more for the software than he owes in taxes.  Thanks