Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Your Finances

stephlopez21

Can you cancel the emerald card?

So I got the emerald card from H&R Block. Big Mistake. This thing is the worst card i've ever gotten. Aside from the $3.00 taken out every time you use an ATM it also takes about 2 weeks if you want a transfer done from the emerald card to your personal debit card. The customer service over the phone is also horrible. They don't understand anything you are telling them and they seem not to be from the US. I dontwant to seem racist but its the truth.

I would REALLY REALLY like to cancel my emeral card and see if I can get my tax return funded to me through a check or directly to my bank.

No one seems to be able to help me with this not even H&R Block employees.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Help! Please!

Client Support
Misti

Re: Can you cancel the emerald card?

Hey there, thank you for joining the Community! In general the refund will go to the card then we would be able to issue a check off the Emerald Card or you can remove the funds off the EC by going to a bank and doing an over the counter withdrawal. Once the fee of $25 posts to the Emerald Card we can go and waive the fee, as long as you have not had any other fees waived. I hope this helps and thank you for choosing H&R Block!

Misti

90silverz

I have to strongly agree with this, I too want to simply cancel my Emerald card.  I thought it would be an easy card for using from time to time and keeping to add tax refunds to during tax season.  Unfortunately, bank transfers take more than twice what normal transfers do, you cannot easily remove (or transfer) funds from the card to a linked bank, and on top of it all, there is an inactive fee!  Called up the customer service number to cancel and after spending minutes going through prompts and typing info into the automated system, I finally got ahold of a rep.  Then, it was terribly hard to hear them, they put me on hold a couple times (one of them being at least five minutes long) just to come back on and tell me she needed to transfer me to someone else.  I was not happy but had no choice, was transferred and then waited another ten or so minutes before having to just hang up as I could not dedicate any more time to the process (overall phone counter showed I was on the phone for 20+ minutes!).  I see no way of writing online to do this, found this "community" though and I am hoping I can get this resolved as over the phone seems to be getting me nowhere.  I will not be keeping a card I do need and painfully adding funds onto it just to keep using it so I can keep from going "inactive".

Valued Pioneer
Donnie

The only time your funds have to be loaded to the emerald card is if you do the Emerald Advance.  When filing your tax return, your fees can still be withheld, and the remainder can be sent to you via check, loaded onto the emerald card, or direct deposited into your bank account. 

90silverz

What?  I dont understand your response.. currently I am receiving inactive charges on the card due to lack of use, this is why I just want to cancel.  Funds DO have to be loaded if I am to use the card ever and therefore eliminate the "inactive" account fees.  Fees held from my tax return? I just want to cancel the card and never worry about it again and then come tax return time I can just receive my return in the mail and not the card.  My main issue is that this card is a pain, I cant just leave it be and forget about it since it is accuring fees just sitting there and I cannot seem to find an easy way to cancel it.

Associate
CindyM2

Most folks just spend the money, or get it off as cash back on a debit transaction.

The bank won't charge fees if there's no money on the card.

Community Manager
JerryG

90silverz,

Please look for a private message from me.

Thank you.

JerryG

Community Manager