Where's My Refund?

Where's My Refund?

Have you submitted your tax return? Wondering where your refund is? This board is the place to find helpful links to understand the return process and how to use the IRS Where's My Refund tool. If you have a question about how to submit your taxes, please be sure to post general questions in All Things Tax and DIY questions in DIY Products.

Trusted Pioneer

Status bar disappeared

[ Edited ]

Return received by IRS 2/3. I had one bar stating return accepted until today. Now status bar is gone, amount is gone, and just says return is being processed a DD will be posted when available with Tax Topic 152.  Is there a problem? Am I under review? Will my refund be delayed?  Just realized I reversed names on joint filing from last year. Could this be the cause and if so how is it corrected?

Re: Status bar disappeared

Bbmom,

Welcome to the Community. This is a normal occurrence during the IRS process. From the irs.gov website:

Q10: Does Where’s My Refund? always display my refund status with the tracker showing three steps?
No. In some cases the tracker graphic will not be shown if your return is being reviewed prior to step two: “Refund Approved,” and instead an explanation or instructions will be provided depending on the situation. This can happen even if you previously checked Where’s My Refund? and it showed the status as “Return Received” along with the tracker. In these cases be assured that we have your tax return and we are processing it. Please follow the directions provided by Where’s My Refund? . Otherwise if we need more information we will contact you – usually by mail. If we send you a letter about your return, please follow the instructions in the letter as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Harold

Tax Pro

Hi Bbmom,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

There's nothing to worry about.  Your tax return is still being processed.  The IRS tracker almost always goes to just a "processing" status in between the first bar and the update two or three weeks later when processing is complete.

There are a couple of possible reasons why it may take longer to process though and I'll share them with you just to make you aware of them.

First, if you claimed the earned income credit or the additional child tax credit then under the PATH law your refund cannot be authorized until at least the 15th of February, and you will not actually recieve it until at least the last week of February.  Many states are also holding refunds for extended periods of time in a similar fashion.  The longest wait times are for those in Georgia, Louisiana, Oregon, Delaware, and New Jersey.

If you didn't claim the EIC or the ACTC then your return may still be looked over.  Out of every 10 tax returns filed in the United States 1 tax return is randomly pulled to be double-checked by the IRS.  This doesn't mean that anything is wrong with your tax return, it just means that it will take an extra week or two because they're looking it over.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer

Thanks for the info. First time doing my own taxes and I'm paranoid. I did reverse the names from last years filing so I was wondering if that would cause a problem then the bars disappeared.