Where's My Refund?

Where's My Refund?

Have you submitted your tax return? Wondering where your refund is? This board is the place to find helpful links to understand the return process and how to use the IRS Where's My Refund tool. If you have a question about how to submit your taxes, please be sure to post general questions in All Things Tax and DIY questions in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Emerald Card and routing info

I filed using H& R's free online site. I choose the Emerald card since my pay card is not  set up to receive tax refunds. I've never had an EC so they sent one. However when I filed I was never asked routing info, my EC was sent AFTER I submitted my tax info. I've activated my card. Refund is due tomorrow. But how does IRS know how to deposit it? Like I said there's no info about it, I was never asked.

Tax Pro

Re: Emerald Card and routing info

Hi Zommy,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Since you elected to have your refund deposited onto an Emerald card the funds will go to the partner bank that administers the Emerald card accounts and then they will take out any fees that you requested to be withheld from you refund and they'll deposit it onto your card.  I'm not sure of the exact procedure but that is pretty much what happens.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: Emerald Card and routing info

Thanks for the reply. I understands how the card works but I don't understand how the IRS knows to put the refund onto the card. I chose the EC for reasons I stated and understood I'd receive the EC by mail in a week or so. I did.  But how is it the IRS will know to add those funds I'm owed? Since I did not have the card before I submitted my forms online. Do they just automatically know who H & R banks with? I was not asked to provide any routing number or account number as I would if I'd opted to use my prepaid Visa or pay card from work. I have looked all over H & R's sites and I don't see any info.