Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Pioneer

need help with health insurance exceptions for dead wife

my wife was a member of an amish church, she was dying from cancer for the past 5 years, she went in to hospice through the amish church in the last quarter of 2016. she did not have insurance in 2017. she died in june of 2017 how do I file the insurance exemption for this situation I'm lost please help.

Council Member

Re: need help with health insurance exceptions for dead wife

trothomas,

There's really not enough information in your post to give you a good answer.  The easiest case would be if your income was less than 100% of the Federal Poverty Line or 138% of the poverty line if you were in a state that didn't expand medicaid (exemption code G on your tax return).  Other than that, I'm not sure if there's an exemption available to you that you don't have to apply for through the marketplace.  There is an exemption for being a member of certain religious sects, Amish being one of them, but you need to fill out and mail this form: https://marketplace.cms.gov/applications-and-forms/religious-sect-exemption.pdf to the marketplace and get an ECN to use when you file your taxes.  I'm not sure if this had to have been done before the start of the 2017, or if it can be done retroactively for 2017.  The marketplace would be the place to call to ask-- there's a number on the first page of the form I linked earlier.

Karen