Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

differences in health care summary and actual received

When I was going through the health care section it said that I had received $6237 in Health care assistance but I only received $3921.  They are assessing me a penalty and asking me to pay about $800 back. How can I fix the discrepancy?

Tax Pro

Re: differences in health care summary and actual received

Hi mcbeav,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

When you apply for and get approved for the premium tax credit they pay the credit to your insurance company on your behalf.  All of the credit that was paid toward your insurance premiums for you is part of what you "received".  So assuming that your Form 1095-A shows a total of $6,237 in credit received that is actually correct.

However, if your 1095-A shows a total of only $3,921 then you can go back to the 1095-A screen in the online software and edit the amounts you entered.  If you're completing a year of marriage calculation or a shared policy calculation then you will probably want to visit an H&R Block office or use the "best of both" option to complete return as the those two scenarios can be a little bit more difficult to get done.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)