Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Council Member

Re: Why is the IRS requesting Form 8962 and 1095-A?

This is incorrect.  

When filling out Part IV, line 30, you'd put the policy number and SSN of the policy holder from the 1095-A, the allocation months that you were covered on the plan, and then YOUR allocation amounts (0) for boxes 3e-g.  You do NOT list the allocations for the other people on the policy in Part IV.

See the example on page 18 of the instructions for Form 8962: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf . It also states on page 18: "If you shared multiple policies during the year or must do more than one allocation for a single policy, complete lines 31 through 33 for each separate allocation, as needed.", so the lines 30-33 are for allocating for different policies, not between different policies.  You only list the amounts allocated to you in Part IV.  Your parents will list their allocation on their 8962.

There's another example that's specific to allocating among 3 families here (scroll down to the last example):  https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p974-008.htm#TXMP53b11b6b

Karen

@LouisHwrote:

Hi LegallyRobbed,

Yes, you'll fill in part IV with your information, your brother's information, and your dad's information.

<snip>

Louis

Pioneer

You're a good man, LouisH!

Trusted Pioneer

I filed my taxes and everything was approved. Then I got a letter asking me to file Form 8962 and 1095-A. It seems the ACA plan I had in 2016 didn't discontinue when I thought it did. This resulted in premiums and tax credits being paid for January 2017. I found the appropriate forms and filled them out and it shows I owe $11 and some change. But the reason I discontinued my ACA plan was that I qualified for an employer-sponsored health plan. To me, that means I didn't qualify for anything in 2017 and owe the whole $245 credit back. But when I attempt to amend my return, it keeps telling me the IRS does not need to see my 1095-B and that I only owe $11. I don't want to do anything wrong. Should I just put my name and social on the Form 8962, not check the "I qualified box" and send it back with my 1095-A? It's not really that much money and certainly not worth an audit. Please help!