Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Esteemed Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Why is the IRS requesting Form 8962 and 1095-A?

I e-filed my federal and state returns via H&R Block, and everything was approved. Because I did not have any health insurance for all of 2016, I paid the requisite Shared Responsibility Penalty, but now the IRS is requesting Form 8962 and Form 1095-A. I'm lost on how to fill these out, and I don't know why they are even asking me for these. There is nothing to gain from submission of these forms...Please assist.

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Why is the IRS requesting Form 8962 and 1095-A?

The IRS is asking for those forms because they have received information you were registered with the 

Healthcare.gov agency and received some kind of assistance.   You need to get with Healthcare.gov and 

retrieve your 1095-A from them (either online or by mail).  Then you will need to fill out a form 8962 to 

reconcile the dollar figures from the 1095-A.   The IRS will not continue processing your 2016 tax return 

until they receive the requested information.

Good Luck!

Esteemed Pioneer

"If you had no health coverage

If you weren’t enrolled in qualifying health coverage for all or part of 2016, you must either claim a health coverage exemption or pay a fee with your federal income tax return.

You will NOT get Form 1095-A unless you or someone in your household had Marketplace coverage for all or part of 2016."

This was posted from the healthcare.gov website. I had no health coverage; therefore, I will "NOT" get Form 1095-A. How should I proceed? I checked the healthcare.gov website, and I can find nothing about my having a Form 1095-A, and according to their website, I shouldn't have one. 

Tax Pro

Hi LegallyRobbed,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Health insurance happens to be one of my areas of expertise and I'll be glad to assist you.

The most common reason why the IRS would request Form 8962 from you even though you didn't have your own policy is if someone in your family had marketplace insurance, for instance your parents, and that person or persons included you on the insurance plan.  This means you did have insurance coverage for part or all of the year, so you'll need to amend your return to eliminate some or all of the penalty and get some money back.

Also, since I mentioned the penalty, there's more than likely an exception that you qualify for.  We just need to look at all of the possibilities.  There are three income-based exceptions and several other ones for different things in addition to the income-based ones.

The first thing I think you should do is find out if someone else in your family had a marketplace insurance plan with you on it.  If they did then you'll need to complete Form 8962 with a special calculation for a shared policy.  I'll help you with that, but you'll need the 1095-A from whomever has the policy.  You'll also need to complete a new page 2 of your 1040 return.

If you weren't on someone else's marketplace plan and you know you didn't have one, then there should be instructions in your IRS letter on how to contact them or reply to the letter to inform them that you didn't have marketplace insurance.

You can reach the health insurance marketplace at 1-800-318-2596 and they'll be able to help you figure this out as well.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Esteemed Pioneer

Thank you for that response. I asked around, and apparently my father received a 1095-A despite none of us having any coverage. I can't work on this right this moment (work,) but I will have the 1095-A in my hands when I return. Is there any particular information that you need from the form that would help you to help me with the 8962?

Esteemed Pioneer

Jan: 1073.24, 760.81, 725.00

Feb: 0, 0, 0

Mar: 0, 0, 0

Apr: 0, 0, 0

May: 0, 0, 0

Jun: 0, 0, 0

Jul: 0, 0, 0

Aug: 0, 0, 0

Sep: 0, 0, 0

Oct: 0, 0, 0

Nov: 0, 0, 0

Dec: 0, 0, 0

These are the values from the 1095-A. I will be back later to continue working on this, but I thought this might help you get an answer. No idea what the ridiculously large number is in January. News to me. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Esteemed Pioneer

I have returned and I am ready to resolve this issue.

Esteemed Pioneer

Hello LouisH, 

Are you still able to help me with my 8962/1095-A issue?

Tax Pro

Hi LegallyRobbed,

It looks like you had coverage for January but not for any other month.  I'll need to know your family size (the number of people on your tax return), your adjusted gross income, and the total of your non-taxable income (if any) and I'll be able to calculate the 8962 for you.

Louis

Esteemed Pioneer

I filed as single, and I was the only person on my tax return. AGI = 27551 and Taxable Income = {std. deduction = 6300, Exemptions = 4050, Taxable Income = 17201 } So, I don't believe there was any non-taxable income. I really appreciate your assistance with this!