Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Trying to figure out healthcare penalty exemption. please help!

The exemptions are all very confusing. At the end of 2016 my husband and I moved back to my home state of Kansas where you can't get government sponsored healthcare unless you're a minor, a senior, or pregnant. We were unemployed until April so we didn't have health insurance then. My husband's job allowed him to get health insurance and so we got it then. We never went to the market place for insurance early in the year because we didn't need insurance since we would be getting jobs any time. Is there anything we can do to get those few months from being penalized? I thought maybe the premium that he pays for insurance being more than %8.16 of our combine income would work to cover those three months to cover for the annual, but I guess you can only do that for months you have an employer offered plan. So that won't work. I had a surgery in January that was completely covered by the hospital under their personal financial assistant program. To do that I had to have a Medicaid denial letter from the welfare office. Would that form work in place of the marketplace denial? (assuming I can find that document. I have no idea if I still have it!) On that note, is there anyway to get a denial letter for a previous year for the exemption forms? It's all so confusing.