Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted

The Healthcare Marketplace is Open

You can enroll in or change 2018 Marketplace health insurance right now. The 2018 Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1, 2017 to December 15, 2017.

IMPORTANT: 2018 Open Enrollment is shorter than in previous years

It's important to act quickly. If you don't act by December 15, you can't get 2018 coverage unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. Plans sold during Open Enrollment start January 1, 2018.

If you want to enroll or have questions about coverage options, cost or qualifications, visit HealthCre.gov.

Pioneer

Re: The Healthcare Marketplace is Open

I am doing my sons taxes. He is filing as his own independent. He is covered under my 1095-C. How do I file in the software as it is asking me that he needs to add his 1095A and fill out a 8962 and it will not let me file. How do I correct so I can file as he is covered.

Council Member

You've likely checked a wrong box in the Health Insurance Coverage interview process.  Start from the beginning of that interview and make sure that when you get to the screen that asks about how he was covered, you DON'T select that he as covered by an ACA plan purchased through the Marketplace, you'll want to check the box that says he was covered by an employer plan. It doesn't have to be his employer's plan, it can be yours.  The software will only ask you the questions about a 1095-A if you'd indicated that he has insurance through the Marketplace.

Karen

Pioneer

I am being penalized for not having insurance last year but i do not have the money to pay the penalty.  What will happen?

Council Member

Have you looked to see if you qualify for any exemptions from the penalty? 

If you're not eligible for an exemption and are required to pay the penalty, you'll need to contact the IRS to make payment arrangements. If you think you'll be able to pay the full amount you owe within 120 days you can work out an arrangement that will just require that you pay interest and a monthly penalty.  If you think it'll take longer, you'll need to set up a longer term payment arrangement which may come with a fee.

Depending on your income (if it's low enough that you could argue that paying the fee would be hardship) you may be able to make a claim that you can't afford to pay it and you may be able to get an offer-in-compromise.  Since what you can't pay is the insurance penalty, you'll probably have more luck asking to speak to someone in the health insurance department when you call the IRS.

Karen