Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

Premium Tax Credit

I am retied and I get my health care thru Kentucky retirement system. My wife has a job that doesn't offer healthcare and she gets hers thru the aca marketplace.She could have got on mine thru retirement but choose the marketplace instead. Can she claim the premium tax credit? The only thing I can find from healthcare.gov is for retiree coverage which says if you have retiree coverage but choose the marketplace instead you can but:

You cant get premium tax credits and other savings based on your income. This is true only if you're actively enrolled in retiree coverage. If you are actually enrolled in retiree coverage . If you are eligible but not enrolled in retiree coverage you may qualify for tax credits based on household size and income.

That is all I could find which says nothing about spouse. Could someone please help just spent last two hours on the phone with the irs and the marketplace and never got a answer from either one.