Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

On my parents Health Plan but not a dependent

Hello, 

I am on my parents health insurance plan since I am under 26 but am not being claimed as a dependent so I did not recieve my own 1095a. How do I report this on my return? Please help!

Tax Pro

Re: On my parents Health Plan but not a dependent

[ Edited ]

Hi cicicurtis,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I've actually got a question for you.  Are you eligible to be claimed as a dependent?

• you were under 24 years old at the end of the year
  • you were in college full time during 2016
  • you provided less than 50% of your own support
  • you lived at home except for temporary absences for school
  • you did not file a joint return with another taxpayer

If you meet these criteria then your parents should go ahead and claim you, and you should file as a dependent taxpayer, because that will simply things quite a bit.  The health insurance forms will only have to be completed on their tax return and not yours.

If you do not meet the above criteria then you'll need a copy of your 1095-A because you'll need to complete the calculation for an insurance plan shared with a taxpayer who is not on the same tax return.  You may want to see a tax professional for this if it applies to you as the online software cannot make these calculations (you should be able to do them in desktop though).

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

My son is 24, and couldn't be considered as a dependent this year since he made over the $ amount.  He is on our ACA insurance plan, and was considered a dependent when it was set up for 2016.  We have a 1095 form with him listed on it.  How do we reconcile on the 8962 form?  Do we put it on Part IV Allocation 4?  Can we list him at 0% for this and claim 100% on our 8962 form?  Or do we show him at 25% and divide up the various premiums?

Pioneer

Did you ever get an answer to this, bhkremer? I had the same situation and could never find an answer. It's very frustrating and confusing!

Tax Pro

Hi bthmystr,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

All you need to do is complete the calculation for a shared policy allocation (Part IV of Form 8962).  You can allocate either by the cost of the premium for each individual on the plan or you can allocate 0% to your child if you would like and 100% of the amounts on Form 1095-A to yourself.  You could also choose to allocate by any percentage of your choice to each of the parties on the plan.

If you would like, you may click on my name and send me a line-by-line description of your Form 1095-A and your 1040 page 1 in a private message and I'll figure your Form 8962 for you with the shared allocation.  If you would like it allocated based on premium cost I'll need to know either the break-down of the cost of your policy by person or the zipcode and age of everyone on the policy so I can figure individual premiums through the marketplace.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)