Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Valued Pioneer

Mother with ACA Insurance as dependent

My disabled mother has her health insurance through the Market Place under the ACA. She lives with me and I support her. She received government assistance to pay for her health insurance, am I able to claim her?

Tax Pro

Re: Mother with ACA Insurance as dependent

Hi Emperor_Hyde,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

From the information you've provided, yes you may be able to claim your mom.  In order to claim a parent as a dependent the following qualifications must be met:

• Your mom must either live with you or you must pay more than 50% of the cost of upkeep for her home.
  • Your mom must have received more than 50% of her own support from you.
  • Your mom must have received less than $4,050 worth of taxable income.
  • Your mom must not be the dependent of any other taxpayer.
  • Your mom must be either be related to you or live with you for the entire year.

If all of the following are met then you may claim your mom.  Note that because she had marketplace insurance your mom's 1095-A information will be reported on your tax return if you can and do claim her as a dependent.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,
Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

According to the spreadsheet on publication 501 I do provide more than half. Does she have to file taxes her self for the subsidies that paid the bulk of her insurance? $500 a month was paid for her by the subsidies.

Valued Pioneer

Sorry I missed the last part of the reply about including her 1095-A.

Tax Pro

Hi Emperor_Hyde,

No, if your mom had Marketplace insurance and you claim her as your dependent parent then her 1095-A goes on your tax return.  If your mom's income was under $10,350 ($20,700 if she has a spouse and would file jointly) then she does not need to file a tax return unless she has withholdings to claim a refund of.  Note that if she has social security income then that is not taxable, although it can become partially taxable if she has enough income from other sources.