Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Healthcare exemptions

I had my taxes filled out in April and claimed a hardship exemption. They couldn't get the paper form to print so I could fill it out to mail in, so we called Healthcare.gov. After lots of questions the girl on the phone took all my information and told me she would file on my behalf and I should get something in the mail within 4 weeks. She would not fax anything to me that day confirming the exchange saying she couldn't do that.

Several weeks went by and I heard nothing, but kept getting calls from them saying if I needed any other information to call the number they provided. I called, no one knew anything. Couldn't find where anything had been filed, couldn't tell me why I was getting all these calls.  This went on for about 6 weeks.

I finally just printed off a paper copy of the exemption, completed it &  sent it via registered mail and got an ECN  number.

My question is, what do I need to do now???

When my taxes were filed they put "pending" in that section. I'm sure there needs to be something else done, but I'm not sure what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tax Pro

Re: Healthcare exemptions

Hi ConfusedOne95,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I'm sorry to hear of all of the trouble you had to go through, however you can fix this pretty easily now that you have that exemption certificate number.

All you have to do is amend your tax return to include the exemption certificate number on Form 8965 which will officially claim your exemption and remove any penalty that was on your tax return.

Keep in mind also that there are other exemptions you may qualify for that don't required an exemption certificate.  Most notably there are two that are income-based.  Those should always be looked at first because claiming them is as simple as entering a one letter code on Form 8965 which gives you the exemption automatically.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Hello LouisH,

Thank you for responding to my post, very much appreciated. I've never posted on a board before, but I'm glad I did....very helpful!!

I just had another question. You mentioned that I would need to file an amended return, I'm guessing I would need to have someone do that for me? I'm wondering about the cost.  I originally  had them filled out at a free tax site.

Also, I did get back a small return, enough to pay my electric bill,  just a few weeks after I filed. They were filed electronically, is that going to be a problem?

Again, thank you so much for the help!

Tax Pro

Hi ConfusedOne95,

You're quite welcome.

Your refund from your original return will be unaffected.  If you were assessed a penalty then you will get an additional refund as the result of the amendment.

The return does need to be looked at because if they somehow had a marketplace exemption "pending" but not actually claimed then you may have been assessed a penalty for not having insurance which would require an amendment to correct.  Or, it's also possible that you weren't assessed a penalty and you simply need to send a copy of your exemption certificate to the IRS.  If you have a copy of the return you can see whether or not a penalty was assessed by looking on page 2 of the 1040 (or toward the bottom of a 1040EZ) in the "other taxes" section.

Either way, it's free to look everything over at an H&R Block office, and that's my recommendation for you.  The only way it will cost you any money is if you do in fact need the amendment and they go ahead and do it for you.  An amendment is $75+.

If you go to an office you'll need a copy of your tax return because since you didn't do it at Block they won't be able to pull it from the Block software.