Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Health Reimbursement Account/Arrangement (HRA)

My question is related to the operation of the H&R Block tax software, not the tax concepts itself.

I retired last year, and I am now invested in a Health Reimbursement Account/Arrangement (HRA).  By law, since I've already received tax benefit by deferring taxes to establish the account, I am ineligible to receive premium tax credits for health care under ACA.

I used the 2016 tax software to do "what if" scenarios in my retirement, and the software prompts about HSA (Health Savings Accounts), but not HRA.  Consequently, when I work through my return, my low retirement income brings me into poverty levels, and the software pushes me into applying for the premium tax credit, which is not allowed.

Am I missing something in the software that takes this into account?  It should be something as simple as a Yes/No question whether at any time during the tax year did I have money in an HRA , and then exclude the ability to use the tax credit.