Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

HSA Reimbursement After Transfer

Hi! Last year, the funds that I held in my Health Savings Account at "Bank A" were transferred to "Bank B"-which closed the account with "Bank A" and opened a new account with "Bank B". I have several health-related expenses that were incurred after the establishment of the original account but before the opening of the new account last year. The IRS guidelines for Health Savings Accounts indicate that reimbursements may be made at any time for health-related expenses incurred on or after the establishment date of the HSA. Is the establishment date of my HSA the date that the account opened with "Bank B" last year? (It would seem that I would not be able to reimburse myself for the expenses incurred prior to that date, if that is the case.)

Highlighted
Valued Neighbor

Re: HSA Reimbursement After Transfer

This was a HSA rollover so the second account is treated as having been established when you began contributions to the original account.