Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

HSA Help

Why am I not getting any money back from my HSA

Highlighted
Council Member

Re: HSA Help

I'm not sure what you're asking. Your can get money from your HSA when you have qualified medical expenses that won't be taxed, but you have to request that from your HSA.

Or are you asking about an HSA contribution that you made? Did you enter it and it didn't increase the amount of your refund or decrease the amount of tax you owe? I can think of a few reasons this might be the case. 1) If your taxable income was already 0 (check the taxable income box of your return (Line43 of 1040)) reducing your AGI further didn't provide any tax benefit.  If you still owe tax, it's probably a tax on something other than income.  2) The HSA contributions were reported on your W-2 with a code W in box 12. In this case the benefits were already pre-tax so you're not paying tax on them.  3) You didn't enter them in the appropriate place in the interview.

If you still have a question, it would be helpful if you included a little more detail of your situation.
Karen