Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

HSA Employer Contributions Only

I have an HSA through my employer, and the only contributions to this are my employer's contributions, which shows up as $1200 in box 12 of my W2 as code W. I also received a Form 5498-SA that shows total contributions made in 2017 in box 2 as $1200. 

I am using H&R Block's Free File software, and it is asking me a yes or no question "Did you make any contributions (or will you) in 2017 to your HSA?' It seems like I should answer no here since I did not make any, and this end up with a $0 value in deductible contributions, which makes sense because as far as I am aware employer contributions are not deductible. 

However, this leads to an error message saying since my W2 form reported contributions, I must fix my Health Insurance section of my tax return. If I go back and answer "yes" to the aforementioned question and include the $1200, this does not seem right either because then it gives me a deduction for that amount and I end up with a higher tax return.

Anyone have any advice or had this happen to them?

Esteemed Neighbor

Re: HSA Employer Contributions Only

You probably dont need to reenter the $1200 in that section (it should already be captured from the W2). You only need to answer the HSA eligibility questions.