Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Trusted Council Member

Re: HSA Distributions

Hi tnarvaez32,

Just replied to your other post.  I believe this is because you were claimed as a dependent.  If you were claimed, you were ineligible to contribute to the HSA and the software is calculating correctly.

Pioneer

I think the real question is why is the HR block site asking me to deduct an employer HSA contribution when its not allowed to be deducted by the IRS. This is making me pay for the upgraded addition instead of being able to use the federal free addition. If it cant be deducted why should I pay for the upgraded addition? To me this seems like an error on HR block site.

Associate (Council Member)

Without seeing your W-2 and seeing  what you inputted on your return, you question really can't be answered.

One possible thought is you were not eligible for an HSA but your employer funded one for you.  

That would lower your reported income and the software is asking to to correct that situation.

Hope that clears things up a  bit!

Pioneer

Hello,

I actually HAVE a 1099-SA and would like to enter the information but every time I go to that section it requires me to pay more money and enter a form I don't have and have never even heard of! (Form 8889). I really don't appreciate being nickle and dimed so if there is no other way to enter that form then I will be going back to Turbo Tax. I've already upgraded once so why should I have to upgrade again???