Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

H and R Block incorrectly filed my taxes. Told me to bypass the 8962 form. Now, I'm in trouble.

I've filed with H and R several times online. This year, I was unsure about the 8962 form, so I called H and R block's 1-800 number. The rep told me to just bypass that form. So I did. Now I have a letter from the IRS stating they need those forms or they will discontinue my insurance and make me pay back any advance premiums they gave me. They will also hold any refund I might have for 6-8 weeks. If I have to pay back those premiums, it will devastate me. Now I can't get an H and R block representative to help me fill out the form they told me to bypass. I'm so worried. I have to get those forms to them soon. The last representative I talked to, said the prior representative was not authorized to give tax advice.

Valued Pioneer

Re: H and R Block incorrectly filed my taxes. Told me to bypass the 8962 form. Now, I'm in trouble.

I guess there's no help for me here, either. Your other representative (the second one) said this was the only place I could go to for help. No big surprise. I'm just going to file my taxes wrong and let them sort it out. Better than waiting on any help from the government or H and R block. But I really got screwed by you and you know it. You just won't help me.

Tax Pro

Re: H and R Block incorrectly filed my taxes. Told me to bypass the 8962 form. Now, I'm in trouble.

Hi msq2u,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You absolutely cannot bypass Form 8962 as it will result in your tax return being held by the IRS until the situation is straightened out.  I just finished working on an 8962 for someone else with this same issue and I'll be glad to do the same for you.  I will complete the 8962 for you and send you line by line readout that you can write onto the form or enter onto the form in the H&R Block software but I will need some information from you.

In order to complete an 8962 I will need a line by line description of your Form 8962 and your 1040 page 1.  I will also need to know how many people are in your tax family (on your tax return) and what your total income is.  If you did not know you were supposed to have an 8962 then you may have been on a family member's insurance policy or you may have had marketplace insurance through work and not realized it.  If it's a family member that has the insurance policy you an get the 8962 from them.  If you had insurance through work then you can get your information by calling the health insurance marketplace and you can find their contact info at www.healthcare.gov (just scroll down the homepage).

Once you have your information, if you would like me to get your forms done for you then click on my name and send me your info in a private message so that it's not visible to everyone out here.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Tax Pro

msq2u,

Just sent your Form 8962.

I've just sent your 8962 information through our private message.  The end result is unfortunately a partial repayment of the premium tax credit that you already received.  This means that more than likely you either you had an unexpected increase in income or you overestimated when you applied for marketplace insurance and the premium tax credit.  The good news is that because you were within the income limits for the premium tax credit the repayment is limited and that saved you about $300.

There is some additional good news.  You can deduct the repayment in the medical expenses section of Schedule A if you have enough deductible expenses to complete a Schedule A.  When you have to repay premium tax credit it's the same thing as if you paid the premiums yourself out-of-pocket.

Louis

Valued Pioneer

Louis,

Thank you very much for your help. I am filing this tomorrow and hopefully that will resolve this issue. I'm still upset that Obamacare quoted me a monthly price for healthcare which I diligently paid for only to charge me more at the end of the year. I reported to them that I made an extra one thousand dollars last year. The Marketplace initially told me it would be 462.00 a month for insurance. Then I went online and it was 115.00 a month, then it was 131.00 a month, and then 146.00 a month. I have no clue what they're doing and neither do they. It's the blind leading the blind.

In any case, I really appreciate your help. Thank you, again.

Susan