Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Valued Pioneer

Re: Form8962 ad IRS letter

Hi Karen,

I did not receive a form from the IRS.  I am filing my 2017 tax return on the H&R software and it will not let me efile because my shared policy allocation is 0.  the software doesn't seem to like the 0 allocation.  At the end it tells me to fix the error but its not an error.  I was wondering if it was a software glitch or if there was a way around it in order to e-file.

thanks 

erika

Council Member

@erika07 wrote:

Hi Karen,

I did not receive a form from the IRS.  I am filing my 2017 tax return on the H&R software and it will not let me efile because my shared policy allocation is 0.  the software doesn't seem to like the 0 allocation.  At the end it tells me to fix the error but its not an error.  I was wondering if it was a software glitch or if there was a way around it in order to e-file.

thanks 

erika

Your original post said that you received a letter from the IRS requesting the Form 8962.  You can not e-file this. You have to print out Form 8962 and mail it with anything else requested in the letter (probably a copy of the letter and the 1095-A) to the address in the letter.  H&R Block should let you print the Form 8962 you filled out, but if not, you can get the form here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8962.pdf.  You should be able to fill in the .pdf then print it, or print it out and fill it out by hand. 

Karen

Valued Pioneer

Hi Karen,

I did not write the original post. it was another user.  I found this information very useful and relevant to my situation except that I am barely filing my tax return for 2017. i filled out the 8962 as you instructed to the other user.  My only thing is that the H&R block software does not let me efile my return now because it doesn't like to 0 shared allocation number.  I was wondering if you had seen that or know the fix.  I tried call the 800 number and they were not very helpful.  

thank you for your help.

erika

Council Member

Erika,

I'm sorry I didn't catch that you weren't the author of the original post. I don't know how to get around this in the H&R Block software. 

The year I ran into this situation I didn't realize that we needed to do the policy allocations with my son, so my son didn't include the 8962 /1095-A information with his return. The IRS just sent him a letter requesting the form to be mailed to them.  It did delay his refund, so if you can't e-file the return you may just want to print and mail it.  E-filing the return without that form will result in the IRS asking you for it once they process your return. 

The only other thing I can think of would be to see if your parents would allocate 0.01 (1%)  to you and take 0.99 (99%) themselves-- if they haven't already filed.

I don't know if there are other software programs that will let you e-file your return with the 0 allocation.  

Karen

@erika07 wrote:

Hi Karen,

I did not write the original post. it was another user.  I found this information very useful and relevant to my situation except that I am barely filing my tax return for 2017. i filled out the 8962 as you instructed to the other user.  My only thing is that the H&R block software does not let me efile my return now because it doesn't like to 0 shared allocation number.  I was wondering if you had seen that or know the fix.  I tried call the 800 number and they were not very helpful.  

thank you for your help.

erika