Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

Form 8965 Health Coverage Exemptions

I've looked till I can't look anymore so I'm asking her.

We've utilized Samaritan's Ministries as an exempted route of 'ministry sharing' of medical expenses. 

I can't find any way to make the software package accept that exemption (Exemption Type D on the bottom of the form), and what is even more confusing, the H&R website walks through those options, and gives that as an initial option, but when going through the rest of the questionnaire that option is completely absent.

How do I choose to use Part III of form 8965 within the software?

Chris Vaughn

Tax Pro

Re: Form 8965 Health Coverage Exemptions

Hi jchrisvaughn,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

In the online software in the "taxes" section you'll want to complete the steps below in order to claim exemption "D".

1. Click on "Affordable Care Act ACA".
  2. Indicate the none of you had insurance and then click "next".
  3. Click "next".
  4. If you do not have any non-dependents answer the question "NO" and then click "next".
  5. If you do not have a marketplace exemption certificate and have not applied for one answer the questions "NO".
  6. Click "next".
  7. Check any box that applies to you and then click "next".
  8. Click "next".
  9. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the next screen that comes up and answer the question about whether or not you would like to apply for any  of the exemptions mentioned on the screen "YES".
  10. Click "next".
  11. Choose "Healthcare Sharing Ministry Member" from the drop-down menu (it's the ninth option down) and then enter the start and end months.
  12. Click "next".
  13. You're done!

If you have the desktop software the procedure is similar but not exactly the same.  You'll need to call support at 1-800-829-1040 for assistance with desktop.

If you have any trouble getting through this or if you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

What is the point of an online forum to answer question for H&R Block, to only be redirected to the 800 Number, for it to be inadequate in handling calls.

jchrisvaughn,

We don't have access to client accounts here in the Community so we can't always tell what specific issue is causing a problem for a client on their return. The purpose of the community to is to discuss general tax questions and direct clients to support resources when needed. As LouisH pointed out you may need to contact H&R Block client support for your specific question.

Thanks, Harold

Pioneer

So, my 1040EZ completed on line, e-filed and accepted. Then, I realized that part III of the 8965 wasn't completed and part I section C says "pending". Like the author of this thread, I wasn't given an option to select the type of exemption, also D. Do I now need to send the properly completed form in or do I need to file an amended return with the correct 8965? Or, something else all together? My dad completed his taxes on line and was asked what type of exemption. This is frustrating.