Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Esteemed Pioneer

Can I Still E-file if I have a PTC Credit on Line 62?

Married and both self-employed. 

I think that i recall reading that you could NOT E-flle your returns if you had to pay back EXCESS advance premium payments. I can not find where I read that....was it in the HR Block program or some IRS Publication?

HOWEVER in my case, I was allowed a small Net Premium Tax CREDIT (Line 69) since my income was lower than I estimated this year. MY QUESTION is, am I allowed to E-file or must I shlup over to the post office to mail it in?

Tax Pro

Re: Can I Still E-file if I have a PTC Credit on Line 62?

[ Edited ]

Most software providers will allow you to e-file as they should.  However, from what others told me in their posts a while back, last year you couldn't e-file with this situation with Block but hopefully you can by now.  I think it was something in the Block software that you saw.

The best advice I can give you on this one is try to e-file first and then if it doesn't work head for the post office because e-file will end for 2016 returns once the extended filing deadline passes on October 16th (Monday).

Esteemed Pioneer

Just found YOUR post to me from LAST YEAR with same question......so it must have been a HR Block program issue and NOT an IRS requirement. Here is what u said last year.....

Hi usaer2,

Welcome to the community.

You can e-file with both the premium tax credit & the self-employment deduction, however you cannot do with the H&R Block software.

This is an issue that came up this year for a lot of people and hopefully it will be fixed by next tax season.  Until then some alternatives include paper filing your tax return, allowing an H&R Block tax professional to complete your tax return with you, or (although I usually stay away from suggesting this since we are in an H&R Block forum) you can e-file through TaxAct or TurboTax with this situation since both of them will perform the necessary calculations & file the return for you (going based on what other people have been saying).

Hope this helps you out.

------------------------------------

SO LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE ABLE TO E-FILE NOW FOR MY 2016 RETURN SINCE I AM SURE BLOCK HAS FIXED IT BY NOW....THANKS!

Highlighted
Tax Pro

That's what I was thinking as well.  I replied to a bunch of questions on this issue last year.