Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

Calculation of Advanced PTC seems excessive

I got married in August 2016 but, due to ignorance of ACA rules, did not enroll my spouse in my job's health care plan or advise healthcare.gov of the change; so my spouse continued to pay for ACA from September to December. On the PTC calculation, however, it looks like the PTC was adjusted for the entire year, not just September to December. This is resulting in a Repayment of Excess Advance Payment of the Premium Tax Credit of almost $3000. This seems rather excessive. Please help.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Calculation of Advanced PTC seems excessive

[ Edited ]

Hi Virginia1,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Health insurance is one of my areas of expertise and I'm sure we can do something about this repayment.

There is a special calculation for the year of marriage that will likely reduce or eliminate the excess PTC repayment that you're seeing on your tax return.  If you're using the online software you will not be able to do it yourself and it will require a trip to your local H&R Block office or using the "best of both" option to send your tax return to a tax professional in your area.

If you're using the desktop software though I can make the calculations for you so that you can enter them yourself.  However I would need a line-by-line description of your 1040 page 1 and your 1095-A form.  I'm working on the same thing for someone else right now as well so the timing on your question couldn't have been better.  If you click on my name you'll be able to send me these items through a private message so that your information is not visible to everyone in the community.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help with those as well.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)